Wednesday, April 11, 2007

How we survived the camp! - Li Juan



This is the toughest camp I had ever planned. I had never been to a children’s camp before and was unsure about what was expected of the camp and of me. Being the PC of this YA camp was a real challenge. Furthermore, we were only given approximately 2 months to plan, and the age range was wider than previous survival camps.

We started off the camp feeling nervous because we were unprepared and inexperienced. The introduction of the camp was a make or break for this camp, that was what we thought. When the camp started, we couldn’t set the mood right for the campers and all their excitement level was low. First day was a traumatizing day. Although the programme might seem to be going on smoothly, in actual fact almost nothing was going on as planned. The stress was building up really fast in us.
By the second day afternoon, we were all so tired and worn out. The stress was so tremendous in trying to ensure that everything goes on smoothly and to prepare ahead for upcoming activities at the same time. The breaking point came when we couldn’t use the hall for the rest of the camp due to some unforeseen circumstances. This problem can be solved rather easily with some rearrangements, but we just couldn’t cope with any more hiccups and problems. Pastor called for an urgent meeting, and I expected it to be a prayer meeting. Although knowing that we really needed to pray, I was unenthusiastic about it. I was feeling so worn out that I couldn’t even bring myself to pray anymore. When we gathered, we just worshipped the Lord. Every one of us was broken before Him. Our tears just flowed uncontrollably. We cried out for help desperately. We cried out for Him to take away any weariness and burdens. We asked for favor, for strength, for joy to arise in serving. The session really came timely to minister to our souls, to refresh us and I walked out of the classroom knowing that God is in control of the situation.

Throughout the rest of the camp, I learnt never to take God’s blessings and favor for granted. I learnt how when God is with us, nobody can be against us. The 5 days in camp away from civilization was a time of faith-building as I committed everything to Him wholeheartedly, knowing that I could never do anything for the camp with my own strength.

With no groups to take care of, the only chances I got to interact with the children are during their breaks and activities like beach-cleaning and hike. Children being children, the mischievous behaviors were all inevitable. Through the short periods of time I got to mingle with them, the children just opened up and were really friendly. Their enthusiasm and excitement were overwhelming (in a good way!). It touched me to see how they can have that simple faith to trust in someone they hardly know, but they just trusted in you with all their hearts. The innocent smiles, the loving hugs, the genuine tears, the sincere “Thank You” and “I Love You” made all the tears, sweat, time and effort worthwhile. This is the toughest camp I had ever planned, yet it is the most rewarding one too.

You can never comprehend how every small act of love and concern from you can touch a child’s life so greatly. It can mean nothing to you; it means everything to the child.

No comments: