Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Yilin shares her camp moments



I feel that this camp is a learning experience for me. I still remember before the camp, I was very unsure of what to expect from this camp. Many times I wondered will I enjoy it? Will it be successful? After the camp briefing that night, I was looking forward to it because I expected it to be very much like those school camps which I have always enjoyed.

On the day when the kids arrived, I was lost as I really have no idea how to handle all of them. My mood and thoughts got worse with that hoarse voice of mine, making me really feel like giving up. Well, I am really glad I did not give up. On that night, things got better as we slowly know the kids and know the different approaches to handle them.


Throughout the camp, I have seen how they become from quiet solitude individuals to a team of young brave warriors caring and looking out for one another. Those kids who got the most lecturing from me are also those who left the deepest memories in me.



There is one very touching incident I would like to share. There were 2 kids, Izaac and Balfred in my group. Their parents are friends and so they have known each other for sometime. Izaac being the elder one (1 year older) had been instructed to take care of Balfred. Although they quarrelled a lot (almost all of the time started by Balfred), they actually care for each other. When Izaac stopped halfway and refused to climb the mountain, Balfred went down and pushed him up.

During the camp Izaac took care of Balfred, lending him his cup and helping him take rice, he was also always the one to apologise first when they quarrelled. However Balfred always complained about Izaac. Finally Izaac refused to forgive him on the campfire night and after much persuasion the two of them finally become normal again.

During the campfire, Balfred slept on Izaac's lap and when the leader tried to wake Balfred up, Izaac told us not to wake him up and that he would carry Balfred up later. After that, he placed his hand over Balfred's ear, not wanting the noisy atmosphere at the campfire to wake Balfred up. I was so touched by this scene that I almost cried and I felt very proud of him. Despite the bad treatment from Balfred, Izaac forgave him time after time and never hesitate to care for him. He is so young and already he knows how to forgive and forget. It is something
that many adults can never really master. He has reminded me that forgiving someone is a very beautiful thing and that I would like to forgive anyone who had treated me badly.

Overall, this camp had been a wonderful experience for me and I enjoyed it very much.

No comments: